Friday, January 25, 2008

Ok, not so easy

No, seriously, I did think this was gonna be easier. My hats off to all those people who can post at least once a week, for real. And I have been drawing, just not anything post worthy. Gripe portion finished. This a sketch of the murder moppet Henrietta from the anime "Gunslinger Girl". Shades of Luc Besson's "The Professional", GG is about a quintet of pint size assassins employed by the innocuosly named Social Welfare Angency. Terminal, pre-adolescent girls are recruited, given cybernetic implants, and conditioned into efficient killing machines under the tutelage of a handler. Aside from a premise that is just plain awesome, GG sports some excellent visual style, amazing italian locals, well crafted music, and some genuinely interesting, sometimes poinant, interaction between each handler and his charge. Check it out if you haven't, also if you have not seen "The Professional", shame on you. Soooooooo, I saw the "Cloverfield" movie. Took me 2 full days to figure out that I liked it. Ambitious premise pays off to riveting effect, too bad the stars are so unlikable that I was wishing that they would somehow be doused with honey mustard sauce, fall on some cocktail toothpicks, and land on an hors devours tray. That coupled with excessive suspension of disbelief it took to concede that the party-camera-friend-guy was gonna run around during a horrifying unnatural disaster with a camera in constant POV and just happen to capture a cohesive narrative almost ruined it for me. In the end, while overshadowed by the ridiculous hype, the good outweighed the bad for me. Oh, and in an unrelated subject, Dentists are the devil.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The people want updates.

Dust said...

So they shall have.